By: Reuters |
Updated: July 20, 2022 10:51:53 am
Ben Stokes played his last ODI match on Tuesday. (AP)
Authorities should stop treating players like “cars” and fix cricket’s “jam-packed” schedule to retain multi-format players, England’s Ben Stokes said.
Stokes announced his shock retirement from one-day internationals on Monday saying playing all three formats of the game had become “unsustainable” for him.
He elaborated further on his decision ahead of his 105th and final ODI which South Africa won by 62 runs.
“We are not cars,” the 31-year-old told BBC Test Match Special.
— ICC (@ICC) July 19, 2022
“You can’t just fill us up and we’ll go out there and be ready to be fuelled up again.
“We had a test series and then the one-day team had a series going on at the same time – that was a bit silly.”
Stokes, who took over as England’s test captain in April, has battled injuries in recent times and also took a break from the game last year to focus on his mental well-being.
“I just feel like there is too much cricket rammed in for people to play all three formats now. It is a lot harder than it used to be,” said the England talisman.
“I look back to when I used to do all three and it didn’t feel like it was as jam-packed and all that.”
The governing International Cricket Council wants to stage one global event every year and the proliferation of franchise-based leagues have only added to the players’ workload.
“The more cricket that is played, the better for the sport, but you want a product that is of the highest quality,” said Stokes, who opted out of this year’s Indian Premier League.
“You want the best players to be playing as much as you possibly can, all the time, and it isn’t just me or us.
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremiumPuneet Chhatwal: ‘Industry survived due to domestic tourism; infra is key…PremiumUddhav was keen on alliance with BJP, had met PM: Rahul ShewalePremiumJitin Prasada’s PWD is under cloud in UP: His OSD and 5 officers out for …PremiumIndian MNCs are absent from discussions on digital policySubscribe Now to get 66% OFF
“You see it all around the world now where teams are having to rest some players in a certain series so they feel like they are getting a break.”
For your UPSC prep, a special sale on our ePaper. Do not miss out!
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Subscribers Reading NowOpinion: It's time to change the standard love story How CMs' foreign trips are cleared, and by whomAntrix Deal: As it prosecuted Devas, ex-ISRO officials, Govt sought ‘settlement’Covid effect? More students skip Class 10, 12 BoardsLessons on navigating evolving geopolitics in the Middle EastUPSC Key-July 19: What to read and why for UPSC CSEUddhav was keen on alliance with BJP, had met PM: Rahul ShewalePremiumSBI chairman: Artificial intervention doesn’t workAmid pregnancy rumoursKareena's clap back: 'Saif has contributed too much to population'Govt announces new work from home rules, here are the detailsExpress Explained Why India has cut windfall tax on diesel, aviation fuel exportsAfter Yogi orders ‘strict action’, four held in Lulu namaz videoSanjay Pandey: An officer known for his run-ins with establishmentWhen Naseeruddin Shah was stabbed by his friend, Om Puri saved his lifeJitin Prasada’s PWD is under cloud in UP: His OSD and 5 officers out for ‘payoffs’PremiumShe had to borrow mother's stole, says father of Kerala girl forced to remove innerwearPythagorean geometry in Vedic-era texts, centuries before PythagorasPremiumPost backlash, legal challenge, Mann govt mum on Chadha job notificationLatest News
- JEE Main session 2 admit cards on July 21, exam city intimation slip soon at jeemain.nta.nic.in
- Ira Khan shares ‘happy photo’ with boyfriend Nupur Shikhare and grandmother Zeenat Hussain, Fatima Sana Shaikh hearts it
- MP Municipal Election Phase 2 Results Live Updates: Counting begins for 2nd phase of urban local body polls
- Charu Asopa on Sushmita Sen siding with her over brother Rajeev Sen: ‘Will always cherish our bond’
- PM lauds efforts of vaccinators as India crosses 200-cr vaccine doses landmark
- Work from home allowed for maximum one year in special economic zone: Commerce Ministry
- Andriy Protsenko- High jumper, who fled Russian invasion, stayed in remote places, now won bronze at world championships
- Explained: How Vegas became the ‘marriage capital of the world’
- KVPY Exam: Why govt scrapped aptitude test and merged fellowship scheme with INSPIRE?
- Ajay Devgn’s daughter Nysa lives it up in Greece with friends, see her latest photos
- Rupee falls 4 paise to 79.96 against US dollar in early trade
- Bihar Cabinet approves lease exemption of up to 80 per cent on govt land