By: PTI | New Delhi |
July 22, 2022 3:50:01 pm
The board has not added to its umpires' list since 2018. (Reuters)
ICC Elite Panel member Nitin Menon is among 10 officials grouped in the newly introduced A+ category of BCCI umpires.
The others in the A+ category include four international umpires — Anil Chaudhary, Madangopal Jayaraman, Virender Kumar Sharma and K N Ananthapadmabhanan. Rohan Pandit, Nikhil Patwardhan, Sadashiv Iyer, Ulhas Gandhe and Navdeep Singh Sidhu are also part of the A+ category.
Twenty umpires including C Shamshuddin form the A group, 60 are in Group B, 46 in Group C and 11 in Group D which falls in the 60-65 age bracket.
The complete list was tabled at the Apex Council meeting on Thursday following the work done by former international umpires K Hariharan, Sudhir Asnani and Amiesh Saheba, and members of BCCI umpires’ sub-committee.
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremiumRK/RKAY movie review: Rajat Kapoor film is meta several times overPremiumShamshera movie review: This Ranbir Kapoor film is big, bad, loud and messyPremiumMP forest staff get ready but why cheetahs may not roam freePremiumPresidential polls: Cross-voting for Murmu bares cracks in Opposition unitySubscribe Now to get 66% OFF
Umpires in A+ and A category are paid Rs 40,000 a day for a first-class game while Rs 30,000 a day are paid in the B and C category.
Though the list was presented as ‘gradation of umpires’, a BCCI official clarified to PTI that the board has created groups.
“It is not grading. There are groups with A+ being the new category. A+ and A, one can say form the cream of Indian umpires. Umpires in B and C category are also good. “When it comes to assigning duties across domestic events starting at the top with Ranji Trophy, preference will be given group wise. The grouping has been done after reviewing the performances of the 2021-2022 season,” said the official.
The board has not added to its umpires’ list since 2018. With the threat of COVID-19 reducing, the BCCI has decided to conduct a full fledged domestic season after two years. The board plans to organise as many as 1832 games across age groups in men and women’s cricket, a massive exercise. The standard of Indian umpires is often criticised in the highly watched IPL.
Only one Indian, Menon, is part of the ICC elite panel. Asked about more umpires graduating to the highest level, the BCCI official added: “We put too much emphasis on the elite panel. Only England has three umpires in the elite panel, Australia has two and rest only one. You can only have so much there.
“The focus should be on improving standard of umpiring at all levels,” the official added.
For your UPSC prep, a special sale on our ePaper. Do not miss out!
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Subscribers Reading NowPresident-elect Droupadi Murmu: Raisina CallingOpinion: How Narendra Modi reshaped the BJPNaseeruddin Shah: A career through supporting rolesZubair bail order: SC draws red line on misuse of power to arrestUPSC Key-July 21: What to read and why for UPSC CSEOpinion: A troubling view of women is emerging ExplainedWhat happened in the Constituent Assembly 75 years ago, when the National Flag was adopted?Movie ReviewThe Gray Man: Despite two charismatic leads, the film is just serviceableCBSE Class 12 results: Noida girl gets a perfect score of 500/500‘India’s image being hampered’: AAP hits out at PM over Kejriwal’s Singapore tripRK/RKAY review: Rajat Kapoor film is meta several times overPremiumMoosewala murderBody of ‘shooter’ killed in encounter cremated in the dead of nightYou can fly Akasa Air from Aug 7; here are the routes, pricesKerala HC voices concern over rising child pregnancies, easy access to online porn200 crore vaccine doses is story of Atmanirbhar Bharat: MandaviyaWhat makes Shahidul Alam a name that worries the powerful elitePremiumGoogle Pixel 6a review: The software phoneSPONSOREDMadHat Season 5 Organized by Symbiosis Centre for Media and CommunicationLatest News
- Amazon Prime Day 2022 sale Live Updates: Best deals, offers and more
- Karan Kundrra calls Tejasswi Prakash his ‘home’ in new Instagram reel
- 33-year-old man from Andhra Pradesh had 5 wives, none knew about each other; held
- CBSE Class 12 results: Chandigarh, Panchkula regions record pass percentages higher than national average
- Pune: Post correction, Dhayari-Ambegaon loses 30% voters, replaced by Aundh-Balewadi as largest ward
- First John Wick 4 image shows Keanu Reeves’s hitman in a rare moment of zen. See here
- National Games logo, featuring the Asiatic lion, unveiled in Gujarat
- CBSE 12th Result 2022: Country topper from Bulandshahr wants to study History at Delhi University
- CBSE Class 10 results: Nationwide pass percentage drops, but more students score over 90%
- FD interest rate rising: Should you choose long-term or short-term FD?
- Sawan 2022: Expert shares essential tips for fasting
- Airtel to be at forefront of bringing 5G connectivity to India: Sunil Mittal