By: PTI |
Updated: July 21, 2022 11:53:58 pm
The BCCI is mulling to restart the prestigious Duleep Trophy and the Irani Cup, while a full Ranji Trophy season is also on the cards for the upcoming domestic season. (File)
The BCCI is mulling to restart the prestigious Duleep Trophy and the Irani Cup, while a full Ranji Trophy season is also on the cards for the upcoming domestic season. The Duleep Trophy and the Irani Cup have not taken place for at least three seasons, while the BCCI had to cancel the Ranji Trophy for the first time in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Last season, BCCI held a curtailed Ranji Trophy season.
The BCCI Apex Council on Thursday discussed various options for the 2022-23 season with Board President Sourav Ganguly announcing that a full domestic season will take place in 2022-23. The Board is mulling to start the men’s senior season with the Duleep Trophy, which is likely to be played from September 8. It is also considering to host the Irani Cup from October 1-5.
Earlier, the Duleep Trophy used to be contested between five zones on a knockout basis but later it became a three team affair with the top two sides advancing to the final after the round-robin format. In Irani Cup, the current Ranji Trophy champions take on the Rest of India squad.
The options to host Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy, the Vijay Hazare Trophy and the Ranji Trophy were also discussed.
While the Mushtaq Ali Trophy (T20) could take place from October 11, the Vijay Hazare Trophy (the ODI format) is expected to take place from November 12.
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremiumUPSC Key-July 21, 2022: Why you should read ‘Sport Integrity’ or ‘Symbol …PremiumPM’s ‘revdi’ remark: We need to disentangle good subsid…PremiumBehind BJP win in MP civic polls, several mini-victories for Cong; AAP, A…PremiumZubair bail order: Again, Supreme Court draws the red line on misuse of p…Subscribe Now to get 66% OFF
The Ranji Trophy could start from December 13, while its knockout matches could be played from February 1.
According to one of the formats discussed during the meeting, there could be four groups of Eight Elite teams and one group of six plate teams in Ranji Trophy.
Thus each team would get to play at least seven matches like earlier times in the Group stage. In order to win Ranji Trophy, a team will need to play a minimum of 10 matches which makes the tournament more competitive. Ganguly said the women’s U-16 category would be introduced by the Board from the upcoming season.
For your UPSC prep, a special sale on our ePaper. Do not miss out!
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
- Duleep Trophy
Subscribers Reading NowPM's 'revdi' remark: We need to disentangle good subsidies from badZubair bail order: SC draws the red line on misuse of power to arrestUPSC Key-July 21: What to read and why for UPSC CSEMadras HC mangalsutra remarks to Karnataka survey, a troubling view of women Behind BJP win in MP civic polls, several mini-victories for Cong; AAP, AIMIM make gainsExplained: MSP and govt panel's taskExplainedSignificance of Kali Bein, from which Punjab CM drank water and fell illUS president Joe Biden tests positive for Covid-19AI's Dubai-Kochi flight diverted to Mumbai after technical glitchOpinionIn abortion, the woman’s choice matters. The SC says so, tooKL Rahul tests positive for Covid before Windies tourSamantha says situation with Naga Chaitanya not amicableUPSC KeyWhy you should read ‘Sport Integrity’ or ‘Symbol of Marriage’PremiumClose shave for TDP leaders as boat dock collapses in Andhra PradeshExplainedBoris signs off with 'hasta la vista': What does the phrase mean?Walter Andersen writes: How Narendra Modi reshaped the BJPPremiumKerala students 'lap up' opportunity to respond to moral policingSPONSOREDMadHat Season 5 Organized by Symbiosis Centre for Media and CommunicationLatest News
- Inform if states, UTs following orders to curb hate speech: SC to Centre
- 1 held in death of son-in-law of Mindi gang leader in Surat
- Day after Amritsar encounter Moosewala’s father visits hospital to identify singer’s alleged killers
- Protesters vacate the last govt building, says will give Ranil Wickremesinghe time to act
- Jersey sponsor Byju’s allegedly owes Rs 86.21 crore to BCCI, Paytm wants to exit as title sponsor
- Delhi to host SA ODI, Mohali to stage T20 against Australia
- CBI files chargesheet against Gujarat cadre IAS officer in bribery case
- West Germany soccer great Uwe Seeler dies at 85
- Gurgaon couple caught smuggling 45 handguns: Relative sent 30 more via foreign post, say airport officials
- ‘Model youth assembly’ memorable, say students
- Agro startups can play a major role in development, says Karnataka CM Bommai
- After football & hockey, International Olympic Committee warns India: ‘Hold elections or face suspension’