By: Sports Desk |
July 19, 2022 7:35:09 pm
Erik Ten Hag reprimanded David de Gea while Harry Maguire was relentlessly booed.
Manchester United cruised past Crystal Palace 3-1 in their pre-season friendly on Tuesday in Melbourne but goalkeeper David De Gea was admonished by manager Erik Ten Hag as he failed to keep the ball in play and kicked it long.
With barely only a few minutes remaining, Ten Hag was recorded asking De Gea “What the f**k are you doing?!” as he conceded possession after the long kick.
Captain Harry Maguire also had a torrid time in the middle as he was mercilessly booed by the Melbourne crowd. The boos were heard when his named was called out on the PA system and in the earlier stages of the match whenever the centre-back touched the ball.
Erik ten Hag screaming "WHAT THE F**K ARE YOU DOING?"
— UtdFaithfuls (@UtdFaithfuls) July 19, 2022
In the match, striker Antony Martial, who was loaned to Sevilla in the January transfer window, netted the first goal in the 17th minute. This was the French striker’s third goal of the pre-season tour.
He also had a hand in both second half goals for Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho before Palace pulled one back late on when Joel Ward headed in from a corner, catching goalkeeper David de Gea napping.
Maguire being loudly booed every time he touches the ball. Booed when his name read out as team announced and he's been booed on four separate occasions in the first five minutes of the game #mufc #cpfc
— James Ducker (@TelegraphDucker) July 19, 2022
The win in front of a heaving crowd of 76,499 at the Melbourne Cricket Ground continued new manager Erik ten Hag’s bright start following a 4-1 victory over Melbourne Victory and 4-0 romp against Liverpool in Bangkok last week.
— Goals HD (@GoalsHD27719116) July 19, 2022
With Cristiano Ronaldo excused from the tour due to a family issue, Martial has been United’s main threat up front, partnering well with Sancho and Rashford.
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremiumUPSC Key-July 19, 2022: Why you should read ‘Right to MSP’ or ‘Dependency…PremiumCovid-19 update: Why precaution dose coverage is low in DelhiPremiumAntrix Deal: As it prosecuted Devas, ex-ISRO officials, Govt sought ‘sett…PremiumCovid effect? States see big jump in students skipping Class 10, 12 Board…Subscribe Now to get 66% OFF
United, who finished sixth in the Premier League last season and failed to qualify for the Champions League, wrap up their Australian tour with a friendly against Aston Villa in Perth on Saturday.
For your UPSC prep, a special sale on our ePaper. Do not miss out!
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd
Subscribers Reading NowIndia to be most populous nation, a prosperity lessonDr Mukherjee on a breakthrough cancer therapy he's introducing in IndiaExplainSpeaking | A glossary for troubled global economyUPSC Essentials: Gender gap to WPP with MCQsAviation upturn sees new trends: curbs in China help IndiaRoad to 2024 | Takeaways of President, V-P polls GET THE PICTURE? Martian spaghettiHariharan writesIn music and life, Bhupinder Singh was inimitableShe had to borrow mother's stole, says father of Kerala girl forced to remove innerwearAt 39.1°C, UK records highest ever temperatureKerala Police take five women into custody for ‘forcing girl to remove innerwear’ during NEET12 Sena MPs write to LS Speaker, naming leader and chief whipExplainedHow Chief Ministers' foreign trips are cleared, and by whomPremiumAAP MP claims caste being asked in Agnipath recruitmentEmilia Clarke says ‘quite a bit’ of her brain missing after aneurysm: Know what the disease isMust Read'Using customised diet as a drug fifth pillar in anti-cancer therapy'PremiumOpinionLalit, Sushmita and us: It's time to change the standard love story'Go home and chill': 5-year-old asks Amitabh Bachchan why he's working at 80Latest News
- Heatwave stifles Europe: Britain hits record-breaking 40° C, forest fires in Spain, France
- TikToker’s video asking for handshakes explains women’s distrust towards men
- Co-passengers of country’s second monkeypox patient who landed at Mangalore airport home isolated
- GET THE PICTURE? Martian spaghetti
- Moroccan El Bakkali ends Kenyan reign over 3000m steeplechase in the slowest final in history
- Karnataka: 69 people killed in elephant attacks in 3 years, says central govt data
- Mallika Sherawat: ‘Jackie Chan is like an older brother, he opened all doors for me in Hollywood’
- NEET-UG 2022: National Commission for Women asks NTA to probe Kerala dress row
- Gujarat ATS arrests Rajasthan gangster wanted in over 35 criminal cases
- Driver-conductor couple installs CCTV, music system on Kerala transport bus, wins hearts
- Twitter’s request to fast-track Elon Musk lawsuit gets court hearing
- Oppo Reno8 Pro vs OnePlus 10R vs Realme GT Neo 3 vs Moto Edge 30 Pro: Price, specs compared