By: PTI |
Updated: July 20, 2022 7:36:36 pm
The International Hockey Federation on Wednesday appointed Egypt's Seif Ahmed as its acting president. (Source: Express file)
The International Hockey Federation (FIH) on Wednesday appointed Egypt’s Seif Ahmed as its acting president following Indian administrator Narinder Batra’s resignation from the post. Batra on Monday resigned as FIH president and also quit as Indian Olympic Association (IOA) chief. He also gave up his International Olympic Committee (IOC) membership which was directly linked with his IOA position.
In a statement, the FIH said its Executive Board has officially accepted Batra’s resignation and unanimously appointed Ahmed as its interim chief till fresh elections are held on November 5 during its two-day virtual Congress.
“…the Members of the Executive Board (EB) of the International Hockey Federation (FIH) have officially accepted the resignation of Dr Narinder Dhruv Batra,” the world body said. Batra became president of FIH in 2016 and reclaimed the position last year for a second term till 2024.
“Unanimously appointed FIH EB Member and President of the African Hockey Federation Seif Ahmed (Egypt) as Acting President until the next Presidential elections.
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremiumUPSC Key-July 20, 2022: Why you should read ‘Twiplomacy’ or ‘Violence’ or…PremiumExplained: Why do people give up their Indian citizenship, and where do t…PremiumPuneet Chhatwal: ‘Industry survived due to domestic tourism; infra is key…PremiumUddhav was keen on alliance with BJP, had met PM: Rahul ShewaleSubscribe Now to get 66% OFF
“…the upcoming FIH Congress will be held virtually, as planned, on 4-5 November 2022, with the Presidential election taking place on 5 November,” it added.
Ahmed played for Egypt’s national team in 1968 and has a long association with the sport as an umpire and technical official. He is a member on the FIH Executive Board since 2001. The FIH is also concerned that Hockey India has been placed under a three-member Committee of Administrators by the Delhi High Court when the country is scheduled to host the 2023 World Cup.
“Furthermore, the EB has decided to send an FIH delegation to India soon, in order to assess the current situation of Hockey India, especially in view of the next FIH Hockey Men’s World Cup which is currently planned to take place in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela in January 2023,” the world body said.
For your UPSC prep, a special sale on our ePaper. Do not miss out!
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Subscribers Reading NowOpinion: It's time to change the standard love story How CMs' foreign trips are cleared, and by whomAntrix Deal: As it prosecuted Devas, ex-ISRO officials, Govt sought ‘settlement’Covid effect? More students skip Class 10, 12 BoardsLessons on navigating evolving geopolitics in the Middle EastUPSC Key-July 19: What to read and why for UPSC CSEMarathi votes split, Sena eyes north Indian support before BMC pollsExplainedWho is Ranil Wickremesinghe, Sri Lanka's new President?Not feasible to grant extra attempt, lower age limit for UPSC aspirants, says govtPythagorean geometry in Vedic-era texts, centuries before PythagorasPremiumBJP MP Dharmapuri Arvind booked over remarks on Telangana CMUPSC KeyWhy you should read ‘Twiplomacy’ or ‘Citizens and Aliens’PremiumHand over AIADMK HQ keys to EPS, orders Madras HCExplainedWhat Rs 80 to a dollar meansPremiumA career seen through supporting roles: Naseeruddin Shah in Mandi, Monsoon Wedding and othersRedmi K50i reviewThe K series is back, but does it stand out?Five ThingsKalaripayattu for kids, introduction to Shakespeare, and moreSPONSOREDMadHat Season 5 Organized by Symbiosis Centre for Media and CommunicationLatest News
- Dybala’s signing steps up the ambitions for Mourinho’s Roma
- Italy thwarts illegal auction abroad of Gentileschi painting
- Can’t allow Gautam Navlakha to make telephone calls from prisons: Maharashtra prison authority tells HC
- India inks MoU with Namibia to reintroduce cheetahs
- Capital topper, AAP fails to score in Delhi University
- OnePlus 10T to launch on August 3; here is what we can expect
- Haryana ‘budget’ private schools offer 24,987 seats to EWS students
- UPSC Key-July 20, 2022: Why you should read ‘Twiplomacy’ or ‘Violence’ or ‘Citizens and Aliens’ for UPSC CSE
- Marathi votes split, Sena eyes north Indian support before BMC litmus test
- Tejashwi, Nityanand Rai rivalry flares as they brace for CM, Yadav leadership battles ahead
- Nithya Menen breaks silence on wedding rumours: ‘There is absolutely no truth’
- These ‘affordable’ food items will help you meet your protein goals