By: Express News Service |
Updated: July 24, 2022 7:58:47 pm
Norway’s Casper Ruud defeated Italy’s Matteo Berrettini 4-6, 7-6(4), 6-2 in the final of the Swiss Open in Gstaad on Sunday. The triumph is the ninth title of the 23-year-old’s career, all of which have come at ATP 250 level, and eight of which have been on clay.
Second seed Berrettini, still reeling from the disappointment of missing out on Wimbledon due to COVID-19, was on a 12-match winning streak before the final. The Italian won titles in Stuttgart and Queens on grass, and reached the final in Gstaad after dominant displays against the likes of Richard Gasquet and the resurgent Dominic Thiem.
Ruud, the top seed and defending champion in Gstaad, came into the tournament on the back of the best season of his career, having reached the final at the Miami Masters and Roland Garros. His draw was relatively more favourable, and he did not lose a single set till the final.
Berrettini consolidated an early break to win the first set, before a nervy second set where Ruud had to dig deep — and save three break points — to force the match into a tiebreaker. The Norwegian took total control of proceedings after an impressive display in the tiebreaker, breaking twice to win the deciding set.
The 23-year-old asserted that winning his serve was important for the conditions, as well as while coming up against a big server like Berrettini.
“I changed [things] up a little bit in the third set especially, which helped,” Ruud said in his on-court interview. “The games and the points go by here fast. If you are not ready and focussed, you can get broken or you can break, because the conditions allow you to.
Comeback Casper 💪
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) July 24, 2022
“So it was key for me to hold my serve, I did that in the second set. Saving those break points was very important for me and everything went in my favour in the tie-break.”
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremiumLenovo Yoga AIO 7 review: A statement piece, in every sensePremium‘Wandering’ in woods for days, 8 of 19 missing men found fortnight after …PremiumFertiliser imports from Russia up, make up 20% of total in April-JunePremiumED: Amnesty UK routed Rs 51 crore to India arm for ‘anti-national’ workSubscribe Now to get 66% OFF
Berrettini’s loss of ranking points at Wimbledon has meant that he will stay well outside the top 10 of the ranking. Ruud, on the other hand, will lose his place in the world’s top 5 to Spanish teenage sensation Carlos Alcaraz.
TWO IS ALWAYS BETTER |
Our two-year subscription package offers you more at less
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
© IE Online Media Services Pvt Ltd
Subscribers Reading NowEat Right: Ensure a healthy gut for your children during monsoonsA food trail through the ancient silk route in Kyrgyzstan leads to moveable feastsBehind the Art: Katsushika Hokusai’s 'The Great Wave off Kanagawa'Ranbir Kapoor's return to the big screen with ShamsheraA brush with beauty & mortality in Bhutan, Land of the Thunder DragonShahidul Alam speaks about the repressive terrain in BangladeshBihar: Child among five killed in illegal firecracker unit blastFollow Live UpdatesIndia vs West Indies: Hooda gets Mayers, Windies lose first wicketExpress OpinionWhy Agnipath scheme needs to be extended to All India ServicesChances of Monkeypox becoming a pandemic is very low, says doctorISC results: 18 students tie for first place, score 99.75 per centLeher Kala writesOpinion: Risque, risk-taking, and being MallikaPremiumIndia reports its fourth case of monkeypox in DelhiRanbir Kapoor, who returns to the big screen with Shamshera, has his heart set on his new avatarsPremiumExplainedWhat is behind the heatwaves affecting the United States?What made the overthrow of the Sri Lanka govt possible, what nextPremiumTech reviewLenovo Yoga AIO 7: A statement piece, in every sensePremiumSPONSOREDMadHat Season 5 Organized by Symbiosis Centre for Media and CommunicationLatest News
- Volcano erupts on western Japanese island of Kyushu, no reports of damage
- Man kills addict son, disposes of body parts at different areas, held: Police
- Irani sends legal notice to Congress leaders
- After Congress’s criticism, RJD’s caution; estranged allies in choppy waters
- CISCE ISC 12th Result 2022: Twins from Gurugram secure top 2 ranks
- Church apologies: Top leaders say sorry for historical sins
- Road rage: Girl stabs differently-abled man to death in Chhattisgarh
- Bihar: Child among five killed in illegal firecracker unit blast
- Rishi Sunak plugs for ‘common sense’ refugee system as UK PM
- CISCE ISC 12th Result 2022: ‘Quite happy with term I and II weightage,’ says Upasana Mandi, AIR 1
- Sara Ali Khan loved Dhanush aka ‘Vishu Babu’ in The Gray Man, check out the actor’s reply
- ‘The only Maldives I can afford’: Watch people play in flooded streets