By: PTI |
July 19, 2022 7:42:24 pm
"You’re the most competitive bloke I’ve ever played against. Respect," said Virat Kohli on Stokes' Instagram post.
Stokes had announced his retirement from ODI cricket on Monday, following which Kohli called the all-rounder “the most competitive bloke” he has played against.
“Look, Virat is going to go down as one of the greatest players to play the game in all three formats. He is a phenomenal player. And I have absolutely loved every time I have played against someone like him,” Stokes told Sky Sports.
“The energy and the commitment that he gives to the game is something I have always admired even before I started playing against him. When you play against guys like that, you understand sort of what it means to not just yourself but for everybody else who was lucky enough to play at the top level.
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremiumUPSC Key-July 19, 2022: Why you should read ‘Right to MSP’ or ‘Dependency…PremiumCovid-19 update: Why precaution dose coverage is low in DelhiPremiumAntrix Deal: As it prosecuted Devas, ex-ISRO officials, Govt sought ‘sett…PremiumCovid effect? States see big jump in students skipping Class 10, 12 Board…Subscribe Now to get 66% OFF
“I am sure we will have some other battles on the field. It was nice to hear what he (Kohli) said,” said Stokes.
Kohli, who has as many as 70 international hundreds under his belt, has not scored a century since November 2019. He struggled even in the recently concluded tour of England.
He has been rested from the West Indies series beginning July 22.
For your UPSC prep, a special sale on our ePaper. Do not miss out!
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Subscribers Reading NowIndia to be most populous nation, a prosperity lessonDr Mukherjee on a breakthrough cancer therapy he's introducing in IndiaExplainSpeaking | A glossary for troubled global economyUPSC Essentials: Gender gap to WPP with MCQsAviation upturn sees new trends: curbs in China help IndiaRoad to 2024 | Takeaways of President, V-P polls GET THE PICTURE? Martian spaghettiHariharan writesIn music and life, Bhupinder Singh was inimitableShe had to borrow mother's stole, says father of Kerala girl forced to remove innerwearAt 39.1°C, UK records highest ever temperatureKerala Police take five women into custody for ‘forcing girl to remove innerwear’ during NEET12 Sena MPs write to LS Speaker, naming leader and chief whipExplainedHow Chief Ministers' foreign trips are cleared, and by whomPremiumAAP MP claims caste being asked in Agnipath recruitmentEmilia Clarke says ‘quite a bit’ of her brain missing after aneurysm: Know what the disease isMust Read'Using customised diet as a drug fifth pillar in anti-cancer therapy'PremiumOpinionLalit, Sushmita and us: It's time to change the standard love story'Go home and chill': 5-year-old asks Amitabh Bachchan why he's working at 80Latest News
- Erik Ten Hag blasts De Gea, Maguire booed as Man United win in Melbourne
- Actor Callejón’s little daughter saved in time as e-scooter accelerates on air, video leaves netizens shocked
- How your status, where you live and your family background affect your risk of dementia
- Will act on demand for Maratha reservation as per constitutional provisions: Karnataka CM
- Shehnaaz Gill bags Rhea Kapoor’s next
- COVID triples across Europe, hospitalizations double
- Gujarat rains: Vadodara city on the edge as Vishwamitri river swells
- UPSC Key-July 19, 2022: Why you should read ‘Right to MSP’ or ‘Dependency Ratio’ or ‘Chin refugees’ for UPSC CSE
- Chhavi Mittal pens celebratory note ahead of completing 3 months of cancer surgery
- Sohum Shah on completing 10 years in Bollywood: ‘It has been a magical journey’
- Heatwave stifles Europe: Britain hits record-breaking 40° C, forest fires in Spain, France
- TikToker’s video asking for handshakes explains women’s distrust towards men