By: Sports Desk |
Updated: July 20, 2022 4:06:32 pm
Eoin Morgan, Adil Rashid and Moeen Ali during their interaction. (Videograbs/Skysports)
England leg-spinner Adil Rashid and all-rounder Moeen Ali spoke to former England skipper Eoin Morgan on Tuesday about the importance of their faith and the diversity it brings to the England men’s cricket team’s changing room.
In a candid chat on Sky Sports during the England vs South Africa 1st ODI, Moeen Ali, who became the first Muslim and British Asian to captain England in a T20 game, discussed their faith, and Rashid’s recent Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca.
Adil Rashid missed England’s white-ball series against India and the later stages of Yorkshire’s T20 Blast campaign in order to make the journey to the sacred city in Saudi Arabia.
“Hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam. So as cricketers we know having role models, but as Muslims role models are the prophets. We follow as much as we can in terms of fasting, and praying,” said Ali.
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremiumUPSC Key-July 20, 2022: Why you should read ‘Twiplomacy’ or ‘Violence’ or…PremiumMarathi votes split, Sena eyes north Indian support before BMC litmus testPremiumExplained: Who is Ranil Wickremesinghe, old warhorse with a (tough) shot …PremiumExplained: Why do people give up their Indian citizenship, and where do t…Subscribe Now to get 66% OFF
“It teaches you patience and being grateful for whatever you have,” added Rashid
Rashid was granted leave by the ECB and Yorkshire. He flew to the Middle East in the last week of June and returned mid-July ahead of England’s white-ball series against South Africa.
On being asked by Morgan if diversity in the England team’s changing room has brought in more acceptance, Ali said, “Diversity in the changing room and the dialogue has been really really good. Whatever differences we may have, when we come to the changing room we fit like fingers in a glove. This is what we love and cherish most about this changing room.”
It’s not always the case in all changing rooms, this is a very special changing room and it means a lot,” he concluded.
For your UPSC prep, a special sale on our ePaper. Do not miss out!
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Subscribers Reading NowT M Krishna writes: We no longer know how to respond to violenceUPSC Key-July 20: What to read and why for UPSC CSEWho is Ranil Wickremesinghe, old warhorse with a shot at making historyIndian MNCs are absent from discussions on digital policyWhy do people give up their Indian citizenship, and where do they go?Opinion: It's time to change the standard love story ExplainedWho is a gold digger, the derogatory expression used to describe certain kind of greedy woman?OpinionT M Krishna writes: We no longer know how to respond to violencePremiumEditorialSC has done well to draw a few red lines in Zubair caseExplainedWho is Ranil Wickremesinghe, Sri Lanka's new President?PremiumCapital topper, AAP fails to score in Delhi UniversityKallakurichi student death: NCPCR to conduct spot inquiryUPSC KeyWhy you should read ‘Twiplomacy’ or ‘Citizens and Aliens’PremiumPujara slams third double century for Sussex in county cricketExplainedWhat are tetrapods, and did their removal cause 'unusual vibrations' along Mumbai's Marine Drive?WatchSpeeding ambulance skids on wet road, rams into K'taka toll boothWhy does Magnus Carlsen find the World Chess Championship boring?SPONSOREDMadHat Season 5 Organized by Symbiosis Centre for Media and CommunicationLatest News
- Constable tries to stop truck, mowed down near checkpost in Borsad of Anand
- Again, SC draws the red line on misuse of power to arrest
- Gaganyaan abort mission this yr; solar, lunar missions in 2023
- Horoscope Today, July 21, 2022: Gemini, Aries, Pisces and other signs — check astrological prediction
- 5 Questions: Opposition does not want any discussion in Parliament, says Sanjay Jaiswal
- Concession for senior citizens on trains not desirable: Govt
- Opposition, govt trade charges as protests over price rise, GST stall House proceedings
- Bombay HC restrains BMC from acting against ex-employees staying in staff quarters, asks it to finish inquiry first
- Leopard run over by truck in Junagadh
- SC nod to 27% quota for OBCs in local body polls
- Patidar leaders meet Bhupendra Patel: Withdrawal of 2015 agitation cases, job to kin of deceased raised
- Don’t be misled by those giving free revdis, we don’t want a Lanka out of Gujarat: CR Paatil