By: PTI | Eugene, Oregon |
July 22, 2022 9:06:43 am
Eldhose Paul, of India, competes during qualifications for the men's triple jump at the World Athletics Championships. (AP)
Eldhose Paul became the first Indian to qualify for the triple jump final at the World Championships with an effort of 16.68m here.
He finished sixth in Group A qualification round and 12th overall to make the cut for Sunday’s final (6:50am IST).
The 25-year-old Paul, who reached here just a few days ago due to visa issues, has a season’s and personal best of 16.99m which he had recorded while winning gold in the Federation Cup in April.
The two other Indians, Praveen Chithravel and Abdulla Aboobacker failed to make it to the finals after best jumps of 16.49m and 16.45m respectively. Chitravel finished eighth in Group A and 17th overall while Aboobacker ended at 10th in Group B and 19th overall.
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremiumMP forest staff get ready but why cheetahs may not roam freePremiumPresidential polls: Cross-voting for Murmu bares cracks in Opposition unityPremiumIn IIMs, few SCs, STs admitted to PhD, pool shallow over the yearsPremiumExplained: For future dollar expenses, should you invest in US markets now?Subscribe Now to get 66% OFF
Those who cleared 17.05m or the 12 best performers across two qualification round groups qualify for the finals.
For your UPSC prep, a special sale on our ePaper. Do not miss out!
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Subscribers Reading NowPresident-elect Droupadi Murmu: Raisina CallingOpinion: How Narendra Modi reshaped the BJPNaseeruddin Shah: A career through supporting rolesZubair bail order: SC draws red line on misuse of power to arrestUPSC Key-July 21: What to read and why for UPSC CSEOpinion: A troubling view of women is emerging Not consulted on Margaret Alva, so will skip V-P poll: TMCDelhi ConfidentialCongress's G-23 leaders stand in solidarity with Sonia Gandhi World Athletics ChampionshipsNeeraj Chopra qualifies for final with 88.39 m throw in first attemptGurgaon27-year-old woman dies after car crashes into Metro pillarLive Updates Sri Lanka crisis: 9 held after raid at protest camp; military to recover secretariat from protestersBSF-BGB talksEconomy growing, no need to go to India: Bangla border force chiefExplainedRanil Wickremesinghe and his relationship with the RajapaksasPremiumSC allows abortion at 24 weeks: Can’t deny it to unmarried womanDay after Dinesh Khatik called it ‘quits’, he meets CM YogiExplainedSignificance of Kali Bein, from which Punjab CM drank water and fell illRanveer Singh poses nude for magazine, fans say 'love confidence'SPONSOREDMadHat Season 5 Organized by Symbiosis Centre for Media and CommunicationLatest News
- Triple jumper Eldhose Paul qualifies for World C’ships final
- While You Were Asleep: Neeraj Chopra walks into the World Championships final in first attempt, Germany beat Austria 2-0 & Noah Lyles third fastest in men’s 200m
- Brad Pitt on playing a philosophical assassin in Bullet Train: ‘He’s a chump’
- Sri Lankan forces raid anti-government protest camp as President Ranil Wickremesinghe takes office
- Ranveer Singh poses nude for magazine, fans say ‘love how he’s so confident in his sexuality’
- Ricky Martin’s nephew withdraws sexual harassment claim; singer says ‘I was a victim of a lie’
- Parliament Monsoon Session Live: No proposal to increase SC, HC judges’ retirement age, govt tells RS
- Delhi HC issues contempt notice to lawyer for ‘allegations’ against senior judge
- ‘It is very important for us to surround ourselves with people who uplift us’: Komal Pandey
- Daily Briefing: Droupadi Murmu becomes India’s 15th President; Few SCs, STs admitted to PhD in IIMs
- Shamshera movie review and release LIVE UPDATES: Ranbir Kapoor film out in cinemas
- Goa govt says no list of temples destroyed during Portuguese rule