By: AP |
July 24, 2022 9:12:35 pm
Max Verstappen, Lewis Hamilton and George Russell share the podium post the French Grand Prix. (Photo: F1 Media/Twitter)
Defending Formula One champion Max Verstappen won the French Grand Prix on Sunday after Charles Leclerc crashed out as Ferrari’s woes resurfaced, falling 63 points behind the Red Bull driver in the championship.
Lewis Hamilton finished second in his 300th GP — securing a fourth-straight podium — while George Russell overtook Sergio Perez’s Red Bull following a virtual safety car restart late in the race to give Mercedes its first podium double of the season.
Leclerc’s race ended on Lap 18 when he lost the rear of his car coming out of Turn 11, spinning 360 degrees before crashing into a tire wall. Leclerc could not speak at first, breathing heavily in his helmet before telling his team the mishap was caused by another throttle problem, and then letting out a furious “Noooooooooo!”
— Formula 1 (@F1) July 24, 2022
It was the third time he did not finish a race this season — Ferrari’s seventh in 12 races — and came two weeks after a throttle problem almost cost him victory at the Austrian GP. Later, Leclerc said the crash was caused by his mistake.
“We’ll add things up at the end of the season, but if we’re 25 or 30 points short at the season I can only blame myself,” Leclerc said. “I couldn’t go into reverse, but those are small details. You just can’t put a car into the wall.”
Perez finished fourth ahead of Sainz, who took a bonus point for fastest lap.
Sainz had passed Russell and Perez when his team told him to pit for new tires with 10 laps left.
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremiumLenovo Yoga AIO 7 review: A statement piece, in every sensePremium‘Wandering’ in woods for days, 8 of 19 missing men found fortnight after …PremiumFertiliser imports from Russia up, make up 20% of total in April-JunePremiumED: Amnesty UK routed Rs 51 crore to India arm for ‘anti-national’ workSubscribe Now to get 66% OFF
“Come on, guys, I can’t believe you told me to box then,” a frustrated Sainz said. “I don’t know why we boxed…I don’t understand.”
TWO IS ALWAYS BETTER |
Our two-year subscription package offers you more at less
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Subscribers Reading NowEat Right: Ensure a healthy gut for your children during monsoonsA food trail through the ancient silk route in Kyrgyzstan leads to moveable feastsBehind the Art: Katsushika Hokusai’s 'The Great Wave off Kanagawa'Ranbir Kapoor's return to the big screen with ShamsheraA brush with beauty & mortality in Bhutan, Land of the Thunder DragonShahidul Alam speaks about the repressive terrain in BangladeshNEW PRICINGAnother good reason to subscribe to Indian ExpressOpinionWhy Agnipath scheme needs to be extended to All India ServicesPremiumSydney McLaughlin and the toxicity of fameBJP leader's remark on CM post robs sheen off Fadnavis's 'gesture'Bihar politicsAfter Congress's criticism, RJD’s caution; estranged allies in choppy watersFollow Live UpdatesIndia vs West Indies: King, Brooks fall in quick succession, WI 3 downRanbir Kapoor, who returns to the big screen with Shamshera, has his heart set on his new avatarsPremiumISC results: 18 students tie for first place, score 99.75 per centExplainedWhat is behind the heatwaves affecting the United States?What made the overthrow of the Sri Lanka govt possible, what nextPremiumTech reviewLenovo Yoga AIO 7: A statement piece, in every sensePremiumSPONSOREDMadHat Season 5 Organized by Symbiosis Centre for Media and CommunicationLatest News
- India’s Manish Sureshkumar wins ITF Colombo title, Vaidehi Chaudhari loses in Monastir final
- India fined 20 per cent for slow over rate in first ODI against WI
- Ukraine works to resume grain exports, flags Russian strikes as risk
- Try this vegan version of Vietnamese pho with a millet of your choice; recipe inside
- Infosys misses profit estimates as costs surge
- Gauri Khan shares sneak peek of new space she designed at Mannat
- CISCE ISC 12th Results 2022: Second on all-India merit list, Patiala girl is also a national-level shooter
- Again, Stalin tells Modi to help students from Ukraine continue medical studies
- Watch: Man plays basketball with bull
- Yash, Radhika Pandit holiday in country which ‘literally spells love’, see photos
- Sonnalli Seygall shares favourite face yoga poses on International Self-Care Day; check it out
- BJP leader’s remark on CM post robs sheen off Fadnavis’s ‘gesture’