By: Sports Desk |
Updated: July 20, 2022 3:09:24 pm
Shafique's singing videos are already viral in Pakistan, and they are sure to be trending again as he helps take Pakistan across the line vs Sri Lanka in the Galle Test. (Photo: @TheRealPCB & Abdullah Shafique on Twitter)
Abdullah Shafique can score runs. Boy, can he score runs. The 22-year old already has 700 plus runs in six Tests. Four fifties and two hundreds, the latest of which is helping (as of now) Pakistan chase only their ninth Test win in Sri Lanka.
Much like his soulful batting though, Shafique has a soulful voice that has mesmerised Pakistan fans. His singing videos are big in Pakistan and across the cricket social media landscape. Here’s one of him crooning ‘Aye Khuda’ from the Bollywood movie, Murder 2 (2011).
Shafique’s favorite, as he had expressed on social media, is Tera Mera Rishta Purana by Mustafa Zahid from the movie Awarapan (2007). He had posted a video of him singing the song and playing the guitar back in 2020.
The young opener from Sialkot scored 397 runs across the three Tests in his first series at home against Australia and is someone who likes to take his time in the middle, having played almost triple the number of deliveries than his runs.
Hmm! So @imabd28 has all the tricks!
Pakistani fans will be singing this song with Abdullah Shafique today if Pak wins vs Sri Lanka
So far it’s been a mammoth effort from the youngster. #PAKvsSL #SLvPAK #Cricket #CricketTwitter #AbdullahShafique https://t.co/BfO6p098sH
— Talk Before Wicket (@TalkBWicket) July 20, 2022
The Pakistan opener batted his side to a win in Galle in the first of the two Tests vs Sri Lanka as he helped his team chase down 352 against the home side that had very recently beat the number 1 team in the World Test Championship points table at this very venue. Even in this innings, Shafique took his time and was slow and patient in the business of runs scoring, much like his singing. His 160* off 408 deliveries saw him attain an average of 80 after his sixth Test.
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremiumPuneet Chhatwal: ‘Industry survived due to domestic tourism; infra is key…PremiumUddhav was keen on alliance with BJP, had met PM: Rahul ShewalePremiumJitin Prasada’s PWD is under cloud in UP: His OSD and 5 officers out for …PremiumIndian MNCs are absent from discussions on digital policySubscribe Now to get 66% OFF
Of course, the videos of him singing and playing the guitar will trend in Pakistan and on the cricket social media with his player of the match exploits.
For your UPSC prep, a special sale on our ePaper. Do not miss out!
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Subscribers Reading NowOpinion: It's time to change the standard love story How CMs' foreign trips are cleared, and by whomAntrix Deal: As it prosecuted Devas, ex-ISRO officials, Govt sought ‘settlement’Covid effect? More students skip Class 10, 12 BoardsLessons on navigating evolving geopolitics in the Middle EastUPSC Key-July 19: What to read and why for UPSC CSEUP minister Dinesh Khatik offers resignation over 'ignorance' by officialsDelhi HC stays guidelines barring restaurants from adding service chargeTreating wife like cash cow amounts to cruelty: Karnataka High CourtWho is Avinash Das, director detained for sharing a photo of Shah with tainted bureaucrat?Nagpur businessman dies after setting fire to family inside carUddhav was keen on alliance with BJP, had met PM: Rahul ShewalePremiumExplainedWhy has govt opened opium production to private players?Senior TV journalist alleges threat calls, requests police for securityWhen Gulzar & Yash Chopra disagreed on lyrics of 'Jiya Re', and AR Rahman watched quietlyHow can diabetics deal with nausea, bloating and acidityWhen Naseeruddin Shah was stabbed by his friend, Om Puri saved his lifePythagorean geometry in Vedic-era texts, centuries before PythagorasPremiumLatest News
- Reliance, RPSG and CSK among the six IPL franchise owners for South Africa’s T20 league
- Tanushree Dutta claims ‘MeToo culprits and Bollywood Mafia’ are targeting her: ‘I’m not going anywhere’
- Thank You star Naga Chaitanya: ‘I am more close to my family and friends now’
- Explained: Who is Narinder Batra, the once all-powerful sports administrator now in CBI net?
- ‘Only when you fail can you know what you need to do differently the next time’: Kubbra Sait
- Time to shift to electric KSRTC buses to save fuel bills, panel tells Karnataka CM
- Joe Russo arrives in India ahead of Dhanush’s The Gray Man premiere, see photos
- Jio adds over 31 lakh mobile users in May: TRAI data
- BTS leaves space for Suga in photo from J-Hope’s Jack In The Box pre-release party as rapper falls ill: ‘Always 7’
- SC grants bail to Mohammed Zubair in all six cases registered across UP
- Seven Chennai Metro stations to get flood-proof doors
- Filmmaker Avinash Das arrested, has history of fake posts: Ahmedabad Crime Branch