By: Sports Desk |
Updated: July 24, 2022 8:27:48 am
France's Eve Perisset, Kenya's Emmanuel Kipkurui Korir and
England women's cricket team members after their wins. (AP Photos/England Cricket Twitter)
France Women’s football team beat the Netherlands 1-0 after extra time to advance to the semifinals of the Women’s European Championship for the first time on Saturday. Eve Périsset converted a penalty in the 102nd minute, following Dominique Janssen’s foul on Kadidiatou Diani that was awarded by video review, to end the title defense of the Dutch.
France’s Eve Perisset scores the opening goal from the penalty spot during the Women Euro 2022 quarterfinals match between France and the Netherlands at the New York Stadium in Rotherham, England, Saturday, July 23, 2022. (Mike Egerton/PA via AP)
The French exited at the quarterfinals stage in their last five international tournaments — Euro 2013, the World Cup in 2015, the Olympics in 2016, Euro 2017 and the World Cup in 2019 — but the curse is over. They completed the lineup of teams in the semifinals, where Germany awaits on Wednesday. Host nation England and Sweden meet on Tuesday. France has only ever reached the semifinals of a major tournament once before — the World Cup in 2011.
Kenya’s Olympic champion Emmanuel Korir wins world 800m gold
Emmanuel Kipkurui Korir, of Kenya, wins the final in the men’s 800-meter run at the World Athletics Championships on Saturday, July 23, 2022, in Eugene, Ore. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Kenya’s Olympic champion Emmanuel Korir ran a textbook tactical race to win the world 800 metres title on Saturday as he peaked at just the right time after a wretched season. Korir arrived in Eugene with barely a race to his name but ran himself into form through the rounds. In Saturday’s final he sat near the back of the tightly-bunched pack for 600m before putting the foot down, sweeping past most of them on the bend then overhauling fading leader Marco Arop on the home straight. He won in one minute, 43.71, with Algerian Djamel Sedjati producing a storming finish of his own to take a surprise silver ahead of Canada’s Arop.
England beat South Africa in Second T20I
Securing the win in style! 👊
— England Cricket (@englandcricket) July 23, 2022
With another win on Saturday, England’s women cricket team has claimed an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match T20I series against South Africa. A second career half-century for Anneke Bosch was not enough as England beat Proteas by six wickets at the Worcestershire County Cricket Ground. Bosch had hit eight fours on her way to a 57-ball 61. In an opening century stand with Lara Goodall, Bosch had helped South Africa set up a competitive total of 148 / 6. Bosch’s fifty went in vein as England’s stand-in skipper, Nat Sciver and Danni Wyatt led the run-chase with the bat to reach the target of 149 with six balls to spare.
-With Agencies inputs
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremium‘Wandering’ in woods for days, 8 of 19 missing men found fortnight after …PremiumFertiliser imports from Russia up, make up 20% of total in April-JunePremiumED: Amnesty UK routed Rs 51 crore to India arm for ‘anti-national’ workPremiumRisque, risk-taking, and being MallikaSubscribe Now to get 66% OFF
TWO IS ALWAYS BETTER |
Our two-year subscription package offers you more at less
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
- Emmanuel Korir
- ENG-W vs SA-W
- England vs South Africa
- France vs Netherlands
- While you were asleep
- Womenn's Euro 2022
Subscribers Reading NowRanbir Kapoor's return to the big screen with ShamsheraA brush with beauty & mortality in Bhutan, Land of the Thunder DragonShahidul Alam speaks about the repressive terrain in BangladeshShamshera movie review: This film is big, bad, loud and messyColleagues recall the singer-composer-guitarist, Bhupinder SinghMental health: When is the right time to seek help?WHO sounds highest alarm level for monkeypoxWho will be CM? Who won't? Karnataka Cong has a problem‘Wandering’ in woods for days, 8 of 19 missing men found after they left BRO projectPremiumCBSE Class XII topperKochi girl who topped in disabled category is also a YouTuber, singer and speakerFertiliser imports from Russia up, make up 20% of total in April-JunePremiumKanwariyas mowed downGwalior village mourns its dead, 3 belonged to one extended familyMaharashtraProve majority to stake claim for Shiv Sena, EC tells Thackeray, ShindeRanbir Kapoor, who returns to the big screen with Shamshera, has his heart set on his new avatarsPremiumAt DAG18th Century paintings of Tipu Sultan, Anglo-Mysore wars to go on displayGold-smuggling case accusedIn HC: 'CPM-backed MLA asked UAE govt to ban Malayalam daily’Behind Bihar govt temple fencing push, Nitish tightrope between secular image, BJP HindutvaSPONSOREDMadHat Season 5 Organized by Symbiosis Centre for Media and CommunicationLatest News
- While You Were Asleep: Franch storm into Women’s Euro semis, Kenya’s Emmanuel Korir wins world 800m gold and ENG-W beat SA-W in 2nd T20I
- Manoj Kumar understood the ‘soft power’ of patriotism in movies, how Bharat Kumar came into being
- Who will be CM? Who won’t? Karnataka Cong has a problem
- Missing items: AIADMK files complaint against OPS Chennai
- Covid-19: Tamil Nadu reports 2,014 new infections, zero deaths; 431 cases in Chennai
- Lakes of Bengaluru: Once a symbol of pristine environment, Hosakerehalli lake cries for rejuvenation
- Tamil Nadu sends over 40,000 tonnes of relief material to crisis-hit Sri Lanka
- Chennai power cut today: These areas will face a power cut in Chennai
- A food trail through the ancient silk route in Kyrgyzstan leads to moveable feasts
- Ranbir Kapoor, who returns to the big screen with Shamshera, has his heart set on his new avatars
- Neeraj Chopra final at World Athletics Championships 2022 Live Updates: Neeraj wins silver
- Gold-smuggling case accused in HC: ‘CPM-backed MLA asked UAE govt to ban Malayalam daily’