By: AP | Eugene, Oregon |
Updated: July 22, 2022 9:18:28 am
Gold medalist Shericka Jackson, of Jamaica, celebrates after the final of the women's 200-meter run at the World Athletics Championships. (AP)
Shericka Jackson gave the Jamaican women another gold medal in the sprints Thursday night, capturing the 200-meter title at the world championships in the second-fastest time in history, 21.45 seconds.
Jackson crossed 0.16 seconds ahead of Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, who won the 100 four nights earlier. Defending champion Dina Asher-Smith brought another medal back to Britain — the only of the six women’s sprint medals not heading back to Jamaica this year.
Seconds after the win, Usain Bolt tweeted “Brilliant” with two Jamaican flags to represent the evening’s medal haul.
Jackson’s time was second only to one of the most hallowed marks on the books — the 21.34 by Florence Griffith-Joyner at the 1988 Olympics in Seoul. It blew away the old world-championship record of 21.63 set by Dafne Schippers of the Netherlands.
Subscriber Only StoriesView AllPremiumMP forest staff get ready but why cheetahs may not roam freePremiumPresidential polls: Cross-voting for Murmu bares cracks in Opposition unityPremiumIn IIMs, few SCs, STs admitted to PhD, pool shallow over the yearsPremiumExplained: For future dollar expenses, should you invest in US markets now?Subscribe Now to get 66% OFF
Jackson adds this to her silver medal from Sunday night in the 100, and a pair of bronze medals she won in the 400 at worlds in 2015 and 2019.
She came into worlds with the fastest time in 2022, 21.55, though the victory has been building for longer than that. At last year’s Olympics, Jackson missed the final after miscalculating in the curve, where she slowed up and finished fourth in her preliminary heat.
She called it a silly mistake and said it was all the fuel she needed to stay motivated for the championships this year.
For your UPSC prep, a special sale on our ePaper. Do not miss out!
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
Subscribers Reading NowPresident-elect Droupadi Murmu: Raisina CallingOpinion: How Narendra Modi reshaped the BJPNaseeruddin Shah: A career through supporting rolesZubair bail order: SC draws red line on misuse of power to arrestUPSC Key-July 21: What to read and why for UPSC CSEOpinion: A troubling view of women is emerging Not consulted on Margaret Alva, so will skip V-P poll: TMCDelhi ConfidentialCongress's G-23 leaders stand in solidarity with Sonia Gandhi World Athletics ChampionshipsNeeraj Chopra qualifies for final with 88.39 m throw in first attemptGurgaon27-year-old woman dies after car crashes into Metro pillarLive Updates Sri Lanka crisis: 9 held after raid at protest camp; military to recover secretariat from protestersBSF-BGB talksEconomy growing, no need to go to India: Bangla border force chiefExplainedRanil Wickremesinghe and his relationship with the RajapaksasPremiumSC allows abortion at 24 weeks: Can’t deny it to unmarried womanDay after Dinesh Khatik called it ‘quits’, he meets CM YogiExplainedSignificance of Kali Bein, from which Punjab CM drank water and fell illRanveer Singh poses nude for magazine, fans say 'love confidence'SPONSOREDMadHat Season 5 Organized by Symbiosis Centre for Media and CommunicationLatest News
- World Athletics Championships: Jamaica’s Shericka Jackson wins 200 worlds with 2nd-fastest time ever
- Chennai News Live: Tamil Nadu reports 2,093 fresh infections, one death; parts of Chennai to face power cut today
- Greater Noida Industrial Development Authority to sterilise street dogs; here’s why it is crucial
- Triple jumper Eldhose Paul qualifies for World C’ships final
- While You Were Asleep: Neeraj Chopra walks into the World Championships final in first attempt, Germany beat Austria 2-0 & Noah Lyles third fastest in men’s 200m
- Brad Pitt on playing a philosophical assassin in Bullet Train: ‘He’s a chump’
- Sri Lankan forces raid anti-government protest camp as President Ranil Wickremesinghe takes office
- Ranveer Singh poses nude for magazine, fans say ‘love how he’s so confident in his sexuality’
- Ricky Martin’s nephew withdraws sexual harassment claim; singer says ‘I was a victim of a lie’
- Parliament Monsoon Session Live: No proposal to increase SC, HC judges’ retirement age, govt tells RS
- Delhi HC issues contempt notice to lawyer for ‘allegations’ against senior judge
- ‘It is very important for us to surround ourselves with people who uplift us’: Komal Pandey